Call for applications from state-level Non-governmental Organizations and Community-Based Organizations interested in supporting Citizen-led Household Assessment initiative.
LEARNigeria is an innovative citizen-led (CLA) household assessment, advocacy and action programme designed to generate evidence on foundational literacy and numeracy skills of children of school age in Nigeria. After a successful pilot in Lagos and Kano in 2015, LEARNigeria was implemented in six states across the six geopolitical zones in Nigeria in 2017. It was implemented through a collaborative approach where representatives of various federal and state level institutions, private organisations, academics and civil society organizations partnered to design and implement the assessment across selected states. The citizen-led approach to this programme focuses on the power of citizen volunteers who are trained by LEARNigeria to assess children and give parents and local communities feedback, thus stimulating communal ownership and responsibility for children’s education. Furthermore, the evidence generated is used for policy advocacy and development of effective learning interventions which are already being implemented at community level.
Having established the efficacy and value of the model for strengthening citizen participation and learning outcomes at the local, state and federal level, LEARNigeria is now further scaling programme to reach more states across the country, strengthening the capacities of local government officials and community groups to effectively partner and implement sustainable learning programmes designed to improve the literacy and numeracy competencies of children in those communities.
LEARNigeria now seeks to identify and select credible Non-Governmental and Community Based Organizations (NGOs & CBOs) to partner with us in the implementation of the programme in the following states: Anambra, Ekiti, Edo, Gombe, Kaduna and Kogi.
Description of Tasks
A Non- governmental organization
- Facilitate the approval of the LEARNigeria programme in the state by relevant government agencies.
- Provide access to private and government education stakeholders in the state, particularly in obtaining permissions and approvals.
- Coordinate community-based organisations (CBO) in assigned LGAs to identify potential volunteers and undertake supervision of these volunteers during the LEARNigeria programme.
- Work closely with liaison officer in organizing and conducting state level trainings for CBOs.
- Provide secretarial support for the state liaison officer.
- Other tasks based on State-level specific needs that arise in the cause of implementing the LEARNigeria project.
B Community based organization
The selected organization(s) are expected to provide support to LEARNigeria in the following areas:
- Nomination and management of volunteers in selected LGAs.
- Work closely with Field liaison officer in organizing and conducting LGA level trainings for selected volunteers.
- Assist in the supervision of household and school survey, particularly in hard to reach enumeration areas.
- Provide volunteers easy access to households in selected enumeration areas and ensure safety of volunteers in the community throughout the duration of the survey.
- Provide access to and information on public and private schools from selected enumeration areas.
- Conduct onsite quality control spot checks during the implementation of the survey.
- Collation and submission of survey booklets to the state liaison officer
- Lead and report on community engagement sessions with community leaders.
Other task based on LGA-level specific needs that arise in the cause of implementing the LEARNigeria project.
Interested organizations must be able to:
- provide proof of registration as a Non-governmental organization/Community Based Organization.
- provide evidence of fiscal responsibility
- Demonstrate cordial relationship with government stakeholders in the state.
- Be actively involved in education and development in the state of interest
- Demonstrate capacity to mobilize and engage committed citizen volunteers
Interested organizations should please complete the form below, and send this along with a one- page introduction letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 15th of April, 2019. The introduction letter should please state reasons for wanting to partner in the implementation of LEARNigeria.
Shortlisted organizations will be contacted from 18th April, 2019. For inquiries please contact the Partnership
Development Officer, LEARNigeria on +234 809 111 5403 or send an email to email@example.com.
APPLICANTS INFORMATION FORM
- Name and address of organisation:
- Details of organization contact person:
- Registration status of the organisation a) Corporate Affairs b) State Association c) Local Government Area (LGA) level d) Other (specify) (attach copy of registration certificate)
- Location of office headquarters: a) State capital b) LGA level c) Community level
- Focus area of organisation (e.g. education, health etc):
- Number of years in operation in Nigeria:
- Number of full-time staff and number of temporary staff or volunteers:
- Annual average income……………………… (attach latest financial statement)
- Examples of activities/projects carried out with dates (please provide at least 3 examples)
- Share evidence demonstrating capacity to mobilise and engage a large cohort of community volunteers.